Questions? We’ve got all the answers here.
The Downtown Allentown Market, 27 North 7th Street, Downtown Allentown
Total size is 12,000 square feet
9 total bays
Bay space available from 287 square feet to 575 square feet
Open 7 Days a week, hours vary by season:
Winter Hours (Nov – April): Monday –Friday 7:00am – 8:00pm; Saturday 9:00am - 8:00pm, Sunday 10:00am – 6:00pm
Spring, Summer, Fall Hours (May – Oct): Monday – Thursday 7:00am – 8:00pm, Friday 7:00am – 11:00pm, Saturday 9:00am – 11:00pm, Sunday 10:00am – 6:00pm
Convenient and free parking for customers with validation after 5pm and on weekends
Access to a shared liquor license
What is the selection criteria?
We will consider established local businesses, as well as start-ups and everything in between. We are looking for high-quality, fair-priced options for the thousands of tenants and residents that work and live in Downtown Allentown.
How is our location within the market determined?
Available bays are assigned on the best fit. Considerations include infrastructure needs, size and neighboring vendors.
What if we are a new business?
All merchants must submit an application and proforma to be considered for the space. If we move forward with you and your business for The Downtown Allentown Market, we will work with you through the process.
Licensing and Design Questions
What is rent?
Rent is based on an overall percentage of your gross sales.
May I submit an application with another merchant who will share a space with me for the 1-year increment?
Does the market have any shared storage or refrigeration?
There will be some limited shared dry storage space available for each merchant.
Is there a limit to the number of vendors in each category?
We will have a market mix and make sure that we provide distinct options. Drink and food menus must be approved to eliminate duplication.
Will we be allowed to design our own space?
No, the space finishes are pre-selected. While the bays will have unique looks, merchants will be able to brand their spaces with signage.
Will merchants be working with The Downtown Allentown Market contractors or their own contractor for bay build-outs?
Spaces will be completed per The Downtown Allentown Market specification.
Do I need to pay for the fit-out of my bay?
No. The bay will be delivered to you fully designed and fitted out.
How will I handle signage?
You will work with our preferred vendor to design and produce your bay signage at your cost.
Do I need to pay for the equipment going into my bay?
The bays will be fitted out with the applicable equipment for the end use of each bay. The intention is that merchants will just need to bring in small wares.
Can I bring in my own POS system?
No. The Allentown Public Market will be providing a standard POS System for all merchants.
Do I need to pay for maintenance of my space?
Yes, you will be responsible for all equipment maintenance, repair and replacement, and janitorial services.
Do the bays have security gates?
Who is responsible for utilities?
You will be responsible for the utilities. The utilities will be sub-metered or pro-rated per your SF.
Will the building have security?
Security cameras will be installed throughout the market, but merchants may AT THEIR COST place security cameras in their bays with prior consent of the Landlord.
Does the market operate as a 12,000-square-foot entity or as a series of smaller businesses from a permitting perspective?
You will need to get your own Health License and Inspection, Business Insurance and Licensing.
Business License: https://www.allentownpa.gov/Portals/0/files/Finance/Audit/INCityBusinessApp2016.pdf
How long are licensing terms?
One-year licensing agreements with renewal options.
What are the insurance requirements?
(1) Commercial general liability insurance shall (i) have a minimum limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 general aggregate, $1,000,000 products /completed operations aggregate and $1,000,000 any one person or organization; (ii) include City Center Investment Corp. and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities as additional insureds (Endorsement CG 2011 Additional Insured-Managers or Lessors of Premises or its equivalent) on a primary and non-contributory basis, (iii) include waiver of subrogation, and (iv) include per project/per location aggregate.
(2) Comprehensive automobile liability insurance shall (i) have a minimum limit of $1,000,000, and (ii) include waiver of subrogation.
(3) Worker’s compensation insurance shall be in compliance with all statutory laws of the State of Pennsylvania.
(4) Employer’s liability insurance shall be in the amount of $500,000 each person and $500,000 each occurrence
(5) Umbrella/excess liability insurance shall (i) be in the amount of $1,000,000 each occurrence and $1,000,000 general aggregate, (ii) include City Center Investment Corp. and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities as additional insureds, (iii.) include liquor liability, in the event Licensee is permitted to sell alcohol, and (iii) include waiver of subrogation.
(6) In the event Licensee is permitted to sell alcohol, Licensee shall carry liquor liability insurance in an amount of not less than $1,000,000.00 per accident.
Could you clarify what is included in the Rental Agreement? Will there be additional charges for utilities, maintenance, insurance, marketing and security?
Merchants of The Downtown Allentown Market have built in benefits as part of their overall rent structure:
Fully designed, built-out move-in-ready space
Shared liquor license available to qualified merchants
FREE and convenient parking for customers with validation after 5pm and on weekends
Designated storage space
Prime location with built-in traffic
Access to marketing to Downtown Allentown residents and office tenants
Directly across from PPL Center
Market is part of the Entertainment Hub on the ArtsWalk
Gold Card Program
Bringing your restaurant to life is easy. As a Merchant in the Allentown Public Market you will generally be responsible for:
Small equipment and small appliances like blenders, panini press etc.
Utilities (sub-metered for your bay)
Signage via approved process
Health license inspection